I hear what you're saying, but at that rate I'm pretty much rewriting my
application plus cost isn't even known.  And I like the datastore.

The problem as always is how the app was written.  Users can update one
field at a time on a data grid and save it back via ajax, so that's
seriously not efficient from a cost pov if they're doing a few fields.  The
model they're writing to has more than 100 indexes (property indexes both
directions + composite indexes).  So I need to look at de-indexing fields
and removing composite indexes given some of the datastore goodies that
have come on stream in the past year.  There's also a problem with another
model with 3 large key lists that's written a lot.  I don't know how the
cost on that is even calculated tbh.

The fundamental problem is I lack numbers on how much each request is
costing me so I don't know where to focus my efforts.  It's mostly
guesswork and intuition.  There could be a big elephant I'm missing.

I'd really love to pre-purchase datastore operations in the same vein as
instances.