FWIW, your app would have been a problem under the old pricing model
as well.  The only difference WRT the datastore is that instead of
being charged "datastore operations" you were charged a magic number
of "api_cpu_ms" per operation.  The pricing model is pretty much the
same, it's just more expensive.

If you're churning through your datastore ops because you have 100
indexes, you would have churned through your CPU quota before.  The
problem is you're trying to update too many indexes.  The only
solution is "don't".

BTW you only incur costs for index changes; if you re-put an entity
without changing the index, you don't get charged for an index update.

Jeff