I'd like to point out that startup latency isn't an issue for all
apps. Appengine used to aggressively kill idle instances. When I wrote
my app almost every request it served was a startup request. As a
result, I optimized for startup latency (used python, avoided django,
import almost nothing), and my app can serve startup requests in
<300ms.

As such, I'd rather the scheduler start a new instance than bill me
for an idle one.