Hey Scott,

Are your instances failing to startup within the 60 sec window allocated by
App Engine? If so, that could be the reason for the extremely slow startup
times. You effectively get into a pattern where a request triggers a new
instance, that instance doesn't startup in time, and App Engine continues
until an instance starts up within the 60 sec window and can handle the
request.

Would you mind enabling App Stats to get further information? This might
also shed some light on the ApiProxy$CancelledException exceptions.
Meanwhile, I'll try to track down some folks internally that have run into
this issue.

-- Chris

Chris Ramsdale
Product Manager, Google App Engine