On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM, WallyDD <shaneb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having something of similar problem with instances not turning
> off.

This isn't a problem - you're not being charged for those instances. You'll
only be charged if demand requires sending traffic to them, in which case
you've been saved the overhead of starting up a new instance.

> The resident instances do nothing and stay idle while other instances
> serve. Not entirely sure if it is related to your issue.

If you've specified a 'min idle instances' greater than 0, then this is
behaving as documented. The point of requesting idle instances is to handle
sudden increases in traffic volume while more instances are being spun up
in the background; naturally this means that they have to remain idle while
waiting for a traffic spike that will require them.

-Nick Johnson

> I get charged for mine :(
>
> On Nov 23, 6:30 am, Ice13ill <andrei.fifi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I deployed yesterday a version of my app for testing purposes. I
> > checked the number of instances on that version today and I noticed
> > that there were 5 instances active, each one with 24h of age (aprox.).
> > But I didn't do any tests in the last 15-16 hours.
> > I also checked if there the number of requests changed in the last
> > 15-20 minutes and it didn't
> >
> > I also noticed that on my default version, i have about 5 instances
> > with 1h20m each... lets say a total of about 6.5 h for the last 1.5
> > hours (real time). But my dashboard shows a total of 4.6 hours. (the
> > counter was reset 3.5 hours ago, relative to the time when i'm writing
> > this post).
> > Until today, everything was fine. I set the number of idle instances
> > to 1 (max idle instances, about a week and a half ago) and on my
> > default version were 2, or 3 maximum instances active. It's like the
> > instance scheduler is not working correctly.

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine