Cynthia,

Here are some procmail docs:

http://sunsite.utk.edu/UNIX-help/email/procmail.html

Having used this before, I will tell you that it is not the easiest thing
in the world to debug and write for. Procmail lets you pipe raw email data
into a different process, but you still need to use a program that can
successfully parse the email, attachments, headers and lots of other weird
email spec goodness.

You definitely *don't* need Google App Engine, but if I am reading your
requirements right, you can get away with using the incoming email API:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/mail/receivingmail.html

And making a call to the spreadsheets API:

http://code.google.com/apis/spreadsheets/

I'd start by trying to get incoming email working. The nice thing about
using GAE's incoming mail API is that it makes processing email SUPER easy.
The downside is that you don't get a ton of choices about what addresses
you can use (your-app...@appspotmail.com and others).

--
Ikai Lan
plus.ikailan.com | twitter.com/ikai