On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Niklas Rosencrantz <nikla...@gmail.com>wrote:

> eg. backup where phpMyAdmin you just push the button and you get a backup
> in zipped SQL of your whole database and no need to worry.

I found backing up a production mysql system with significant data size to
be a huge pain in the ass.  Backups invariably ended up locking large
sections of the database and freezing the frontends for unacceptable
lengths of time.  The only solution was to set up a slave and run all
backups off of the slave.

InnoDB's awful locking policy is why I will never run MySQL in production
ever again.  If I need an RDBMS in production, I'll use Postgres.

This brings up an interesting question.  Without a full-database MVCC
system, how do you backup the whole database?  Especially with multigroup
transactions, there's no way to guarantee an isolated snapshot.  Depending
on how your application works, getting a consistent backup might be
impossible.

Jeff