Thanks for your reply.

So, you mean 4 requests per hour that are perfectly spread out can cause 1
instance hour. Right? So, if I only have ONE instance all the time, it
would only mean 24 instance hours in a day and I would never exceed the
quota. How do I make sure that my app only uses one instance? Does setting
'maximum idle instances' to 1 help?

Does the following message in the log file related to this? Does it mean it
is creating another instance (or Is it another process in the same
instance?)

This request caused a new process to be started for your application, and thus
caused your application code to be loaded for the first time. This request may
thus take longer and use more CPU than a typical request for your application.

Thanks
Krishna