This is 100% legit.  It's also one of those things that needs to be in
"Appengine: The Missing Manual", along with "don't use the provided
email service", "backends have almost no practical value", Brandon's
edge cache experiments, and a whole slew of datastore optimization
tricks I've worked out.  One of these days I'll start a wiki.

The obnoxious thing about this ratelimit problem is that it's not
obvious, so you will build an app and everything will be fine until
some day it isn't and you lose a day of sales (or however many days)
until you figure out the problem.  Ouch.

Jeff

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM, stevep <prosse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There have been many forum threads about issues making sales using GAE
> + Paypal. Long, long time ago Ikai would respond, and one time he did
> say he would call PP about it. However, the silence since then has
> been deafening. Bottom line is that reliable payment processing to non-
> Google providers does and apparently will always require undocumented
> proxy work-arounds (I'm presuming Google Checkout works w/o work-
> arounds). Sadly, just two days ago I was talking to a SMB owner who
> uses a plug-and-play GoDaddy system. His bricks+mortar biz is growing
> rapidly and he can benefit greatly from some on-line branding
> improvements.  He relies on PP for on-line sales, and I had to be
> frank with him about GAE. That's a lost customer for sure -- and I did
> try to present GAE positively. Unfortunately, pitching a system to a
> SMB owner and needing to talk about him/her running proxy servers at
> AWS in order to COMPLETE THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing his/her
> business does is... well it's a non-starter for sure**. If Mike could
> star this issue, he certainly would have, but he's never going to be
> in the position to do so because he will always work with a provider
> who is attuned to ensuring that he can COMPLETE THE SINGLE MOST
> IMPORTANT this his business does. (Yes is some ways GoDaddy is more
> appealing than Google -- yikes.) With regrets, stevep.
>
> ** - before you flame me about how this guy can so easily hire someone
> to set this up, please realize that folks can have different
> priorities, and when one is very busy running a multi-faceted business
> finding/hiring a guy like Brandon may not be top of the list. Summary:
> "It Just Works" can be way more appealing than "It Just Works Once You
> Add A Proxy Server".
>
> On Dec 29, 10:10 pm, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
>> > Sure put my service out of business... I see how it is :-)
>>
>> At only 3 stars maybe we discovered in advance that there's no market
>> for the product ;-)
>>
>> Jeff

We are the 20%