Hello Christoph,

Welcome to GAE (group)!

I'd like to share my PubNub experience:

I have been using PubNub for updating thousands of iPhones at the same time.
Once you have a (java) instance running which as already connected to
pubnub in the past, it publishes fast.

I don't know the latency or speed... but in my experience while thousands
of users where connected to the same channel this was the speed:
The admin submits a form on his computer, looks away from his screen and
looks to his iPhone and the message arrives (PubNub uses GAE and Amazon for
scaling).

Pubnub uses long polling in the browser, but sockets on iPhone (Apple will
allow the app - they sometimes don't allow apps that use other http
push-services than their own).

Two remarks:
- when you're testing, you can use a demo-account (so you don't pay for
used messages).
I have noticed that this demo account can crash your iPhone app (probably a
build in security so you won't use this account in a production
environment). Make sure the used channel when using the demo account is
unique.. Other demo-users can crash your app during testing :)
- make sure you don't exceed the max-length of a message! It won't send
(throws an error in your serverside code ! :))

Good luck with your project!

Dimitri