From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Karl Rosaen
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 7:32 AM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Re: Why are several production issues
related to DeadlineExceededErrors being ignored?

Brandon, thanks so much for taking the time to put together the video, very
helpful.

The key insight seem to be: time spent in the queue waiting for a frontend
counts towards the limit for a DeadlineExceedError.  This seems silly -
seems to me user visible latency, and framework level timeout enforcement
should be decoupled in this case.  But good insight and glad to better
understand this behavior.  This also makes me wonder what the benefit of
having 'auto' for max pending latency would ever be - I'm going to slide
mine down to ~1s.

One quibble about your advice for 'avoid importing code more than once':
this shouldn't be a major issue in python unless you are importing a module
from within a function that is called several times:

Although Python's interpreter is optimized to not import the same module
multiple times, repeatedly executing an import statement can seriously
affect performance in some circumstances.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSpeed/PerformanceTips#Import_Statement_Ove
rhead

Just wanted to clarify that one needn't fret about the same utility module
being imported from two modules or anything like that.

Karl