From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Schnitzer
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:23 PM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Quick poll. Java or Python?

You just enjoy watching gladiator combat, eh?

Perhaps this should be phrased as "JVM vs Python runtime", because there are
other languages you can run on the JVM besides Java (including Python, oddly
enough).

I write most of my "serious" apps in Java because I think statically typed
languages are superior for large, complicated codebases.
However I am not terribly fond of the Java language, and look forward
deploying Ceylon apps on GAE.

I use GAE/Python for simple fun apps that have limited scope and can be
banged out quickly.  Or of course if the organization inheriting the
codebase prefers Python.  But I find that once a codebase reaches a certain
size, significant refactoring becomes a serious problem without the kind of
IDE support you can only have with static typing.

Jeff