I have a Java web application that is hosted in google app engine.
There is a simple web service call to the Amazon Product and
Advertising API to look up for books when the user inputs a title.
Everything runs fine on my local development environment. However, the
web service call is annoyingly slow on production.

E.g. When I invoke the web service call in my dev environment, it
takes about 3-4 seconds to get the response back. In production, the
same call to the same API would take 15-16 seconds. There is no
datastore activity involved at this moment, just a web service call
and display the results.

I am pretty sure that this is not the initial load issues others are
talking about regarding GAE in production. It has been consistently
slow no matter if the load is warmed up. I have tried to search
everywhere but nobody seems to be complaining about the same issue.
Does anyone have any clue what this might be? Is there any good tool
to tackle this kind of performance issue? Thank you!