On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
> If you are logging lots of things don’t use logs.

This is great, until you need to debug a complex process.  Better advice is
probably to use logging intelligently, and be sure you're using appropriate
logging levels. I think too much logging is generally obvious: if it is
noise that is hard to filter through and doesn't aid in debugging, it is of
no value.

> Especially if you want to look at them later. Logs are not permanent, Not
guaranteed, and not something you should make a dependency.

This is true. If you want a permanent record you need to periodically
download your app's logs.

> PS
>
> Disabling logging speeds our app up quite a bit (30-50 ms per request)

While it is true that logging adds some overhead, he's talking about a
backend task. So it is presumably a longer-running more involved process.
Logging is great in these cases because it allows you to watch the process
running live. I find this immensely valuable.

Robert

google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Kluin
> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:58 PM
> To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [google-appengine] Is there a limit to the number of log
entries per request?

> This is exactly the type of thing I'd love to see included in the big
list of limits. Please star issue 5677.
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5677
>
> I can tell you I've logged a lot of lines in backends tasks without
issue. I'm not sure exactly how many, but several hundred would probably
work.  Keep in mind, if you're doing this a lot you're going to fill your
log buffers more quickly.

> Robert
>

> On Friday, January 20, 2012, Stephan <m...@ping13.net> wrote:
>> Hi there
>> Well, subject says it all: I have a request (on the backend), which
potentially produces a high number of log entries (multiple of hundreds of
lines).
>> Besides the question whether it is a good style to generate so many log
entries: Is there a limit that I can hit?
>> Cheers
>> Stephan
>>
>> --

> ------