Here's how I am currently dealing with it, if it helps:

1) I upload blobs using the deferred queue, and save the blob_key to an
entity. I try to save the URLs in the entity via get_serving_url, but if it
fails, I set them to a designated empty URL (e.g. "blank.png")

2) On a cron job (run every 20 minutes), I find all the entities with empty
URLs, and attempt to save the URLs then. Eventually I get the URLs for them.

- pamela