If you mean a custom composit index (ie via index.yaml) - then I
believe there is a sequential processing queue.

The delay is as much about how many tasks (and their size!) are in the
queue, rather than the size of your new index.

Unless its stuck in some sort of error state - check your logs. In
which case might need to do some vacuuming