I guess that's the same solution as just deploying two different
versions. A threadsafe one and a non threadsafe one. Or did
I misunderstand you?

My main concern is having two versions running.

@Brandon: Do you know if an instance is killed during handling requests or
afterwards?
And what happens with if there are concurrent requests?

Cheers,
-Andrin