Hey Alex,
  I should probably have stated this better as memory is not always
handled well.  For example, the ext.db code keeps many copies of the
data in various forms.  This can cause rapid and unexpected memory
blowups, and the result is something that appears similar to a memory
leak.  As Brian noted, this is partially caused by Python's handling
of memory.

  However, there are a number of scenarios where you get real memory
leaks.  For example there have recently been several posts / issues
from people having issues with the blobstore leaking memory.  Some of
these are quite detailed and the repro code is very simple.  If I'm
not mistaken, in the past, we've observed this happening with heavy
datastore use as well, though I don't have simple repro cases for
those.

Robert