I'm taking this back... the erratic random instances behavior is still
present.

I'm attaching a screenshot with the total number of instances: 5 with an
avg. qps of 0.013 and avg. latency of 513ms (admin setting: 12s). In the
last 30 minutes, the dashboard has recorded 1.5 instance time hours.

At this point I'm clueless and I'll just have someone to look into this
(hopefully before I'm running out of budget).