I'm hoping its not too late to revive this thread.

I still don't understand.  Specifically, in java, what happens when my
instance memory usage surpasses an instance limit.  I'm running F1 and my
instances tend to settle around 160MB, sometimes a little higher.  Do they
simply sit there and not get sent any requests?  Are they shut down -
doesn't seem to be the case.  If they still serve requests what is the
incentive for upgrading instances?

thanks for any help,