For example? I am sure there is space for optimizing the list views..
The only trick I know is to reduce the number of order-able columns in the
list view...

For example, just yesterday I developed a statistics module which required
me to add another 2 indexes for 2 queries like:
select * from Customers where accountId = 'currentAccountId' and
creationDate > [from] and creationDate < [toDate] and status = 'available'

Is there a trick to avoid using indexes on queries like that?