A plain simple calculation:

Let's say you move one of your apps to Rackspace. I find their pricing more
"friendly" than e.g. AWS when you need an instance running 24/7. So, you'll
end up paying a little more than 20$ just for a "512 MB Linux Server
Instance". I'm not counting a load balancer, DB backend, memcache,
maintenance, monitoring and other costs associated  with the whole thing
here. AWS would charge you even more.

A "512 MB Linux Server Instance" is not enough in 99% of the cases (unless
this is a "I made it only for myself" app)

9 USD/month sound like a very much reasonable price to me, considering it
includes all I described above (much more actually) .
They say there are 1M+ apps running on GAE. Well, let's just take a half of
that. It's 500k apps x 9 USD, about 5M USD Google would give up each month
just because, you know, it's cool to offer 100% free service? The fact that
Google charges those money kinda makes me feel they do care about GAE and
it's future as a public PaaS.

Please, correct me if I'm too far from the reality in those numbers.