Hi guys,

I've decided to convert my servlet/jdo based app engine app to spring mvc
(the current app is starting to limit me on doing quick
changes/improvements in the code and as I have quite good experience with
spring on standard non cloud platforms I've decided to give it a go).

So I've put together project including:

- Spring + Spring MVC + Apache Velocity
- ehcache + spring-annotations for ehcache + own decorators/interceptors
for appengine memcached
- objectify
- some other util classes ie jsoup, commons (util, baens, logging, codec),
gdata

The lib directory contains ~42MB of jars (including appengine libraries
which makes ~25MB)

After deploy, the app takes 50+ seconds to start (sometime the first
request get killed after 60 seconds and another app is started) - I've read
some articles about speeding up the spring on gae and decided to do another
little test. I've created testing app containing only spring + spring mvc
with one controller (no other beans, but had to keep the annotation scan
enabled for mvc mapping - but disabled the component scan). The controller
simply forwards to JSP file with text. Deployed and the page got displayed
after 13 seconds.

I knew the Spring with all proxies and scanning is not optimal for GAE but
I wasn't expecting this at all - it seems like the app have issues with
simple loading the libraries as I can see how the memory of instance is
growing by 1 MB per second. I've tried to:

1) merge jars into 3-4 bigger ones
2) disable annotations (just for the test as with new spring mvc its quite
hard to do some better mapping only in xml)
3) lazy load some spring beans

And I can save like 5-10 secods from those 50+ seconds of my startup - is
it really so bad for everyone or is there some magic setting?

Whats your normal startup time of your spring based app?