I'd also like to know if this is any different on high replication than it
was on master slave.  (I know its a lower level bigtable side effect, but
does hrd/paxos deal with it differently?)

Are you planning on writing these entities at hundreds of qps?   Most of
the conversations I have had about this revolve around the entity key
rather than the indexes, but I suppose you could create a similar problem
there.

Have you done any tests?  This might be one thing that is better to
actually test even if you get a solid answer here.

Mike