> I searched through Google I/O 2011 sessions, and I found this one:
http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/sessions/scaling-app-engine-applications.html
A good article on the topic (many people are probably already familiar with
this post):
http://ikaisays.com/2011/01/25/app-engine-datastore-tip-monotonically-increasing-values-are-bad/

Both confirm that this is definitely an issue, and provide some ideas on
how to avoid the situation. One thing that I have seen Nick Johnson mention
in various posts is that a Batch Put may alleviate the hot tablet issue to
some extent; I wonder If I am misinterpreting him, or if that is a simple
solution. In other words, just throw work onto a pull queue, and take it
off in batches of 100 (or whatever). If most of the indexed rows for that
batch of entities all go to the same tablet, and are processed as a batch,
it would seem to be significantly more efficient.

Of course, as Mike pointed out in an earlier post, unless someone from the
GAE team can provide a definitive answer, it all boils down to trying
something and testing it out under load.