The two HTTP requests are not guaranteed to execute in the same VM,
regardless of session ID, so you should definitely NOT rely on thread
interaction. The session object is updated in real time, and of course
memcache is a great tool for sharing short lived state, as long as you can
tolerate failures.

However, it sounds to me like you should really explore the Channel API to
accomplish your goal:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/channel/overview