(GAE team: congrats!!! on search-- please add clustered/grouped
results<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing>to your todo list-- it's
very hard to emulate such a feature at the app
layer)

Jeff:
 - this is pre-release, and if you personally can't bear that risk, then
let others play beta-tester for you.
 - if Google waits for pricing before release then that delays the release,
which nobody wants.
 - pricing can depend on usage patterns, which they only know once they see
usage.

in general, if you're already live in production on GAE then there are few
reasons to invest materially in a beta:
 - someone is demanding this.
 - you expect to depend on little details of this feature and therefore
want to join the design
 - your karma with google and its community are running a little low, and
this is an easy way to restock.  <== why I'm posting this.
 - you have spare time and it's more fun than youtube cat videos.

fwiw, 95% of the time, I read the docs on new APIs, then go back to work,
and this is no exception:
 - we're not in pain: my company uses SOLR/Lucene on IntoVPS and it works
well.  It was a big investment last year, but now it's a sunk cost.
 - we need clustered/grouped results, which isn't in the beta (and it's
hard to emulate).

hope this helps!
adam