I have an Android game whose server side is Python on AppEngine.

The app processes the client requests.  These requests result in a need to
update the client profile (player stats).  I offload this to a task.

Tasks run fine some days.  On other days, the task queue randomly stops
running and refuses to process any tasks.  Synchronous cron jobs also start
late or not at all during this time.

Outages can last several minutes to 10's of minutes.  They are not
dependent of the volume of client requests (I graph everything) or time of
day.  Some days it happens with 20 clients connected ... and other days it
is just fine with over 200 clients connected at the same time.

The statistics I don't care too much about, but I ALSO use tasks and CRON
to control game flow, cycle to the next game board/etc.  So broken task
queue means all my Android user's game clients stop working.

Has anyone else observed anything similar or got any suggestions ?