Jeroen,

First link describes authentication method, how and who you want to be able
to sign in (assuming you are going to use it later in your app via Users
Service provided by App Engine). The second link simply describes how to do
domains mapping, e.g. myapp.appspot.com => myapp.example.org.

Those are two separate things, one does not really imply the other. Though
both do require you to have a valid and verified Google Apps domain.

At which steps exactly do you see those errors?

Anyways, I'd start with the domain mapping first and then move to access
settings since there are different authentication methods and you might
find that what you really wanted was OAuth 2.0 or something else.

-- alex