I'm trying to dig in to what exactly is crashing.  It looks like I'm now
getting an Expando instance where one is not expected.  I'm not sure what
was expected in these crash cases.  I haven't looked at this code in 2
years, so it's taking a lot to re-familiarize myself with what's going on.
 I didn't expect backward incompatible changes.

--Steve