Hi Steve,

We try to avoid backwards incompatible changes as much as possible.

You will get an expando when the decoded proto does not have a key (as in
this case the correct model class cannot be determined, see
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/python/google/appengine/api/datastore.py#1086).
Are you passing in an empty string to the decode function? Anything that
produces an expando should have failed to encode and decode before (with an
exception). Do you have a byte string ("print '%r' % encoded_proto") you
can send me for testing?

Thanks,

Alfred