Curiosity got the better of me, and I've just tried this - unfortunately,
it doesn't work. When serving from Google Storage using send_blob I
received the pre-gzipped content, but the Content-Encoding header was not
sent.

You might want to try something with signed URLs (
https://developers.google.com/storage/docs/accesscontrol#Signed-URLs). I've
just discovered that the edge cache in front of Google Storage will
actually *uncompress* pre-compressed content before serving it (which would
mess things up for you), but I suspect this this is a bug, and I also
imagine that it won't affect signed URLs.

Stephen