Hi all,

I'm not a crypto-enthusiast, so maybe there is something that I'm missing.
But the usual suspects like the Sun JCE unlimited strength policy files
don't work for obvious reasons, and Bounce Castle does not either. I got
Jasypt to work, using the StrongTextEncryptor, which is a wrapper for
PBEWithMD5AndTripleDES, but I read that DES is not considered strong enough
anymore, so I was hoping for AES with more than 128 bit (or something else
that's considered good enough these days).

I came across dozens of questions about this topic, but no answers
unfortunately. Just fluffy assumptions, "go figure it out" suggestions, etc.

So I'm wondering, maybe it's simply not possible? Is it entirely dependent
on the JCE unlimited strength files? (please star
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2889 in that
case)  Or is there some other way to get strong symmetric encryption off
the ground?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Per