I just looked over the logs of a corporate GAE application. It's a very
simple "heartbeat" application; essentially our production applications
have to send a message to it periodically. The message sent is about 500
characters; the application does some checksum-ing and sends back a JSON
string about 100 characters long. The only external libraries are jars of
twitter4j and the org.json parser. It's really not much more complex than a
Hello World app.

Looking over the logs, the fastest start time from cold-instance to
first-request-served is 1695 ms (although on average, it needs 2.2 to 2.5
seconds to cold-start) on a F1 instance. Once the instance is warm,
subsequent requests take, on average, ~150ms to process and send back a
reply. I could probably get that lower if I upgraded to F4.