Excuse my butting in guys... v interesting debate.... I tend to veer towards
the "pro" app engine side of the argument myself.

However, IMHO, the idea of implementing a decent SOA with different
"subprojects" running on different instance environments is one of my own
personal gripes. I can't quite agree that the use of "versions" is an adequate
solution to the problem. If only Google allowed the Datastore to be shared
across different applications then we'd be cooking with gas (I'd say the same
for blob store, but cloud storage looks like its stealing it's crown there
anyway).

There's an issue raised for it which could benefit from a couple more stars if
you agree :-)

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1300&can=5&colspec=ID%20Type%20Component%20Status%20Stars%20Summary%20Language%20Priority%20Owner%20Log