Our experience on py 2.5, 2.7 and Go is a lot different from Java guys.

Pros:
- being able to use Task queues (+ deferred API) and Cron jobs in form of async
HTTP requests is just awesome.
- I haven't seen anything like Guido's NDB for what concerns async and
"parallel" execution, plus its caching, autobatching even on url fetches
- LOTs of useful services, which you use via simple APIs
- you totally focus on your app code and not hardware/systems admin. What
others call AE limitations actually often helps you deliver a better experience
to your users. Not always but again, in our experience, most of the cases. I
actually want to thank AE team for imposing some limits (though the real
reasons of limitations are totally different)
- when something goes wrong you just wait for SRE team to fix it
- nice support for (unit) testing out of the box. Both Go and Python. Actually
Java too.
- Backends are actually of a great value when you need to "talk to" third
parties via some API (i.e. not user-facing requests)

Cons:
- some of the services are still a little buggy and their bugfixing is not that
fast in some cases (e.g. Channels API 400 errors)
- Users API is awesome but unfortunately works with either Google Accounts or
OpenID. Either way, I'd love to see it supporting OAuth 2.0 and/or "abstract"
third parties
- I'd love to see a better monitoring system, though I do understand this is a
complex system to say the least. plus, I think someone mentioned.
- Examples are too simple, e.g. Hello World. So, you'll need to actually figure
it out yourself. This is not the case with Go land - their examples are closer
to real world.

Overall we're more than happy with AE. It saved us tons of money so far.

-- alex

PS can't wait for Endpoints API and Compute Engine GA. Unfortunately I didn't
get into trusted testers (was hoping for Endpoints API)