Someone else asked this, but I'll ask it again - have you tried using
CloudFlare?  Seems like this is what they are supposed to be for.  I'd
like to know if it works.

Google can't magically make your DDOS go away.  I don't know of any
hosting providers that can.  You need to use some sort of filtering
service like CF to handle it - there are several, but I gather most
are fairly expensive.  At least CF is free.

Sorry, but this is just the reality of the internet.  Moving off of
GAE might produce a somewhat cheaper solution, but it won't solve your
DDOS problem if your attacker is paying any attention.

Jeff