Hi,

Channels on AppEngine are picky. There are multiple issues that I had to
work around for an application that is currently in production:
1. Channels aren't working on backends
2. No API is available to mobile
3. The implementation is different from the test and production server
4. Connection/Disconnection handlers aren't reliably called

I could go more in details on each of those issues and explain how I
worked around them, but if you are still evaluating possible solutions, I
would say, avoid them at all cost. At the end, I had to implement a
polling & memcache solution in order to *reliably* use channels. It did
cost us a lot of time and I wouldn't repeat this error again.

The fact is, it's the only solution that let you have a persistent
connection on AppEngine. Sadly, with all the efforts I've put in there,
I would like to re-use our current solution/model but it did prove
itself to be very costly in terms of time and material, so it won't
happen.

Because of this, I'm no longer developing any application on GAE.

That's my feedback but if you are looking for more tips & tricks about
those, let me know. I'm always happy to help.