This issue has been raised before (I believe this is what you are seeing).
Many moons ago vlad was its champion in these groups. His conclusion (link
below): "I have been screaming about this for a looong time. The offcial
position of GAE team is - we don't guarantee on time execution. Even though
this issue is not about on time execution but rather about
bugs/inefficiency of their scheduler."

Sadly I think this is never going away, so best to build your client with
the anticipation of such delays -- TQ tasks as part of handling client
calls are too powerful/necessary to avoid entirely. HTH -stevep

Link:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-appengine/nwnq7cjABhY