Something is (obviously) preventing the process from starting.  Just in
case, kill GAE Launcher (alt-right click if it won't stop) and then start a
terminal and type 'ps -ax |grep 8080'.  If you get a process back, you've
got a hung dev server.  Kill it with 'sudo kill -9 <process_id>' and see if
that fixes it.

Double check you don't have anything else listening on 8080 by doing a
'netstat -an |grep 8080'.

Lastly, throw a '--debug' in your extra flag field and watch the log window
for something obvious to pop out at you.  Paste it here if you like!