The key to being a low traffic app on appengine is to not to be a low
traffic app on appengine.
I use a script to pepper some dynamic URLs that incur no API costs.
I endeavor to keep at least one dynamic instance alive, and sadly I also
have to have 1 resident instance as well.
It keeps the site limping along while I port stuff to Go. ;)