I'm sorry but this is *not* what the documentation says and certainly not
expected.
It says:

- https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/instances
"You can specify a minimum number of idle
instances<https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/performancesettings#minimum>.

Setting an appropriate number of idle instances for your application based
on request volume allows your application to serve *every request with
little latency*, unless you are experiencing abnormally high request
volume."

The key word here being *every.*

The way the scheduler is currently working does not, in any situation,
allow me to handle *every* request with little latency.
As I mentioned I started up 5 resident and *still* got 2-3 dynamics while
the residents sat idle.

It is completely counter intuitive that I would be paying an hourly rate
for a resident instance only for it to sit idle while dynamic instances are
spun up to handle requests. What makes complete sense is dynamics are
started only if the load is beyond what the residents can handle.

What would make for a real scheduler would be for it to be predictive in
starting up dynamics before they are needed and then not load balancing to
them until they are completely spun up and ready. Having a calls block on
instances starting up is just lame.

Also, I read somewhere (not sure if it was official documentation) that an
instance should be able to handle up to 10 concurrent requests. I am not
getting anywhere near that.