I figured out the problem with port_sqlite on dev_appserver. Google's
documentation here is wrong:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/devserver#Using_the_Datastore

The following step from their instructions should be deleted:

cp /tmp/dev_appserver.datastore /tmp/dev_appserver.datastore.sqlite

Then it works.