There is some sort of automated system to detect this; in fact, it's
one of the things that makes running a reverse proxy dangerous. If any
client trips the panic alert, your reverse proxy will be blocked and
*all* customers will get an error msg.

If you are concerned about DDoS attacks, do what spamhaus did and use
cloudflare. You don't need to activate it; you can just use CF for DNS
and then switching it on is just a flip of the switch. You get good
metrics about the number of attacks too.

Note that CF (when active) is itself a reverse proxy, but their IP
addresses are whitelisted by Google so it won't tickle Google's
auto-blocking system.  Since Google's system is completely opaque (you
get no metrics), CF's is superior.

Jeff