On Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:52:28 AM UTC-5, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:

> Note that CF (when active) is itself a reverse proxy, but their IP
> addresses are whitelisted by Google so it won't tickle Google's
> auto-blocking system.  Since Google's system is completely opaque (you
> get no metrics), CF's is superior.

Just to add to Jeff's excellent response, Google's anti-DDOS and other
protection systems can be so aggressive they block some reverse proxies and
(once!) blocked cloudflare, which caused a big stink on this mailing list.
See
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-appengine/ykW9HVjO1sk

and
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-appengine/YgF_UMWBG10
 for
some extra light reading.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much about a DDOS. That article you linked to
is about Spamhaus; they have a lot of enemies, and they get hit with all
kinds of virtual garbage on a regular basis. Feel free to sign up with
Cloudflare if you want: they have excellent analytics and other services,
so even if you don't expect a DDOS, it's still a great idea. But a normal
website is just not going to be hit with a 50 gig/sec, not unless you've
made some seriously bad enemies.

TLDR: don't lose any sleep over it.