I'm not that experienced with GAE, but I'm wondering whether it really is
that simple.  If an instance of my app takes 10s to start up, and my app
can, at peak, receive X requests in a 10s period, then wouldn't I require
close to X idle instances running all the time to satisfy your criteria.
 And wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive for most apps?

If my understanding is correct, then I think a simple on/off option (which
has been suggested) would not be a good solution for most developers.  I
certainly want them to figure out how to reduce response latencies and
instance startup times, but I would need to be in control of the balance
between response time and cost.

As to your point about Heroku/Azure, do you know how they resolved the
problem?  Did they manage to significantly reduce startup times or have
they come up with some other scheme?

One final point - I'm baffled at Google's decision to support Go on GAE.
 When I looked at Go and wondered about design decisions that seemed odd,
the answer I always got was that it was designed to reduce build times for
enormous systems.  How does that primary design criteria make it suitable
for GAE?  If they had instead added a runtime for something like LLVM then
people like myself (and the vast number of other devs who know C/C++/OC)
could take advantage of the near-instantaneous startup times that you are
talking about, with our existing skills and libraries.

Tom