I'm also new to the Google App Engine and had the same question. After
doing a little digging, I found a page that mentions the difference between
the two quotas. Apparently you can have 5 GBs of actually blob data stored
in the Blob data store as well as 1 GB of data stored in the normal
Datastore. When storing blobs to the blobstore, the only data that counts
towards your Datastore quota is the data saved in the BlobInfo record that
is created with your blob.

See the bottom of this page for Google's explanation:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/blobstore/

Also, take a look at the Google App Engine admin console dashboard - you'll
see there are two different counters listed: one for the 1GB Datastore
quota and one for the 5GB Blobstore quota.