Yes, you need to pay for your certificate (e.g., RapidSSL) and for Google
to host your certificate. On the Google side, you can choose from SNI
($9/month) or VIP ($39/month). SNI works with most modern browsers, but not
(I think) Windows XP nor older Android installs. You may also run into
issues with SNI if you allow programmatic (API) access, though I'm not
certain.

Basically, we use SNI on our test environments and VIP on our production
environments.