We do continuous deployment as well, although not 30 a day.
I can't quite remember when there started being issues with 500s being served
when deploying an app, but it wasn't always the case. Appengine used to just
handle deploying newer code to the same version and start up new instances,
shutting down old ones naturally.

We basically have two versions, one set to default, and another used for smoke
test and to host while we're deploying. We upload new code to the smoke testing
environment, smoke test, then switch it to default. Then we deploy to the other
version and flip it back to default.

Occasionally the behaviour doing this changes (for a while the old instances on
the old version didn't shutdown, and had to be done manually), but that's the
nature of appengine.

Issue to star if you're interested (this affects everyone, any deployment will
currently cause downtime to consumers for a small window - 2 seconds to a
couple of minutes, there will be no indication of this in your logs at all):
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=7874&q=Deploy&colspec=ID%20Type%20Component%20Status%20Stars%20Summary%20Language%20Priority%20Owner%20Log