Vinny,

Ultimately, as you adviced, I went to APIs console, selected my project
(created by integrating GAE app), and switched to ON Cloud Storage (it was
OFF).  Now Cloud Storage buckets are creating fine.

Answers for your questions:

> When you tried another project, was that a project created by the "New
> Project" button on the Google Cloud Console, or by integrating an App
> Engine application into the console?

By "New Project" button from Cloud Console. Now, I've tried to enable
billing for that project and everything works fine.

Can you try this: Go to the cloud console and create a new project. Set up
> billing on that project. Then go to Cloud Storage and try to set up a
> bucket.

Done. New project with billing enabled works fine.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Den